1. Cut two square pieces of 3/4" thick particle board that measure 3 7/8" on a side.
2. Mark the center of each square piece and drill a 5/64" diameter pilot hole completely through the center of each piece.
3. Use a 1 1/8" diameter Forstner bit to remove approximately a quarter inch of material from the top surface of each of the square pieces.
4. Widen the pilot hole to 1/8" diameter.
5. As an optional nicety, countersink the pilot hole on the bottom surface of each of the square pieces.
6. The base sections are now complete.